This is this week’s Big Beta Hubidibub! In this blogpost, we’re recapping last week’s Last Regiment stream(June 20), and a new patch update for the Steam Beta build.
June 20 Stream Highlights
Last week, Chris went into detail about the die system and acknowledged that some don’t seem to get it when someone says 2d6, 2d3; and mentioned mixed feedback about the card system. All-in-all, with most audiences being unfamiliar with Dungeons and Dragons or similar dice-related games, changes to dice rolls will be made before the game gets released for Early Access.
This stream also introduces us to Chris’ created newly catchy word Hubidibub which means “a lot of words” or “a lot of stuff” in one place, hench the title of this post.
Last Regiment has been a two-year project of Boomzap and Chris admits that it’s hard putting a game on Beta. He shares that while thinking of a concept for a strategy game a long time ago, he first thought of themes of the World Wars I and II, before coming up with Regiment’s colonial setting.
“This is the challenge of innovation.” Chris says on stream. There will always be risks on making a creative concept and this is the main challenge we face on Beta because there will always be people who will not like it. But with the help of the community (in this case our Discord), it helps us think of ways to make this game fun, balanced, and interesting, especially for turn-based strategy gamers.
As we are just a couple of weeks away from Early Access, the feedback we get from our beta testers will be critical in getting Last Regiment ready upon release.
Our Steam Beta build has been recently updated. Here are the things we’ve changed and added:
- Regiment now follows a deck system instead of a weighted system.
- Regiment can now contain 9 to 12 cards.
- Card Rarity has been changed to Card Amount.
- At the start of a Skirmish or Multiplayer game, players have 10 seconds to choose which cards to redraw for their first hand.
- Increased movement for all Infantry type units from 2 to 3.
- Increased movement for all Mounted type units from 3 to 4.
- Reduced movement cost of Flatland terrain from 2 to 1.5.
- Fixed Beta Build UI text issues on higher resolutions.
- Updated Create Regiment UI.
- Updated descriptions for Powers.
- Added new visual effect for Upgrade Unit power.
That’s our update for this week! Add the game to your wishlist on Steam today and give us your feedback and bug reports to our growing Discord server. Your feedback will really help us out in getting Last Regiment ready for Early Access on August 5, 2019!
Chris will be doing weekly streams again every Wednesday 10pm EST / Thursday 10am GMT+8 on the Boomzap Twitch channel. We also have multiplayer sessions with the Boomzap team every Tuesday and Thursday 10am GMT+8. Join us on those dates!